Flavorful. Juicy. Crispy. This fried fish recipe has it all! It’s inspired by the good ol’ English fish and chips meal, but with my own take on ingredients. You’ll want to make this tonight!
Cod prep + frying
- 12 oz wild-caught cod ((other white fish works like haddock, pollock, or sole))
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup avocado oil ((for frying – may need more. see instructions for details))
- 1 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
Brining the cod
- For about 10 minutes brine the cod in water and salt mix.
- Fillet the cod into 4 oz pieces, removing all bones if necessary.
Mix it up!
- Mix together all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients with a whisk for about 2-3 minutes. Slowly add the flour and spice mix to milk, egg and mustard mix. Make sure it’s the consistency of a thick heavy cream and doesn’t have any lumps before proceeding to the next step.
- Dip each fillet in the dry ingredient bowl first, then into the wet ingredient bowl. Tapping excess dry ingredients prior to dipping into wet.
Fry baby, fry!
- Heat about 1/2 cup of avocado oil in a deep frying pan. The oil should come up about 1/2 inch to an inch, depending on how thick your fish fillets are. You’ll want a little of the top of the fish fillet to show while frying.
- To minimize the amount oil sticking to the fillets once you take them out, make sure the oil is really hot before frying.
- Put fillets into oil and fry for up to 2 minutes on each side, then take them out. You can let them rest on a plate with paper towels on top to remove excess oil.
- Serve with “chips”, homemade ketchup, and apple cider vinegar. Recipe for “chips” are also up on this site (See Recipe notes).
Use organic ingredients whenever possible
Pairs best with Oven Baked Potato Chips.
Make it vegan: substitute fish with tofu. First, brine the tofu in hot, salted water for 15 minutes. Then, lightly pan-fry for 30 seconds each side before proceeding with recipe instructions above.
- Category: Appetizer, Entree
- Cuisine: English