This spicy meal will it fulfill any Chinese food craving without the food coma status that usually ensues. It’s a win-win!
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 32 oz organic chicken breast (cut up into cubes)
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 3 tbsp dry sherry wine
- 3 tsp ground white pepper
Kung Pao WOW sauce
- 3 tbsp liquid aminos
- 2 tsp GF dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp raw honey
- 8 tbsp filtered water
- 3 tsp arrowroot starch
- 6 tbsp avocado oil
- 8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 slices ginger (minced)
- 3 dried Thai chili peppers (add up to 6 for a lot of heat!)
- 1/2 onion
Marinate the chicken (or veggies)
- First off, you’ll want to marinate the chicken (or choice of veggies, if making this vegetarian) with the avocado oil, (4 tsp) starch, salt, sherry wine, and white pepper.
- Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of avocado oil in deep frying pan or wok.
- Keep the heat on medium and add cashews. Keep stirring for about 3 minutes so they do not over-cook. You don’t want that icky burnt taste ruining a good meal, now.
- Remove cashews, set aside on a plate to cool off.
Prepare the special sauce
- Combine water and 3 tsp arrowroot starch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add liquid aminos, GF dark soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and honey to a small pot.
- Slowly heat until you notice that the honey has melted (low – medium heat). This may happen quickly, so keep an eye on it.
- Let the sauce cool a bit before adding the arrowroot starch and water mix into the sauce. Wait like 5 minutes before adding back in.
Let’s get cookin’
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan where you cooked the cashews. Sear the chicken as evenly as you can.
- Remove the chicken from pan/wok and put into another plate or bowl.
- Now it’s time to add more oil (about a tablespoon) to the pan and add onions, ginger, garlic, and dried thai chilis. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add chicken. It’s time to stir-fry! Turn the heat up to medium or high (depending on your stove). Stir-fry everything for a minute or so.
- Now you’ll want to add the sauce and continue to stir fry. You’ll notice the sauce start to thicken. This is good!
- Lastly, you’ll want to add the cashews and stir everything up.
- Pick your tongue up off the floor and eat up! You can pair with your favorite kind of rice (although I suggest brown rice cooked simply with salt, pepper, and a little bit of lemon juice).
Make it vegan: substitute chicken with tofu or more veggies; substitute honey for organic raw sugar.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible
Recipe is inspired by a wonderful blog called Woks of Life.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese